OM works, but Service fails?

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM

First of all, thanks for making such a great tool. I find it more useful that the other ones out there.

I've ran into a case where I have a query that works with the OM but not via the web service. I posted this over at the yahoo groups, but I figured maybe someone here could help.

I'm attempting search a custom column from a document library using the search web service (search.asmx) programmatically and I'm not really sure what the problem is.
I have two custom columns on a doc lib, let's call them "Contains Data" (yes/no), and "My Data" (mutli-line text). Both fields have been picked up by the crawler. I've also created to map properties to map the doclib column "Contains Data" to "containsData" and "My Data" to "myData".
Both mapped properties appear when using the SharePoint Search Service Tool.
On to the problem...
When executing this to weed out the results that has containsData=1:
SELECT Title, Author,Description, FileExtension, Path, keywords ,Size,Rank, containsData, ContentType, ContentSource,Created,CreatedBy,DocSignature,IsDocument FROM portal..scope() Where FREETEXT(DefaultProperties, 'stuff')  AND Contains(containsData,'"1"') ORDER BY "Rank" DESC 
it works just fine and I get back results.

When executing this to pull down the contents of myData:SELECT Title, Author,Description, FileExtension, Path, keywords ,Size,Rank, containsData, myData, ContentType, ContentSource,Created,CreatedBy,DocSignature,IsDocument FROM portal..scope() Where FREETEXT(DefaultProperties, 'stuff')  AND Contains(containsData,'"1"') ORDER BY "Rank" DESC 
I keep getting a "Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.InvalidPropertyException" error.
Further more, from the 12 logs....
06/06/2010 17:27:00.25 w3wp.exe (0x0DA4)                       0x1074 Search Server Common           MS Search Administration       0 High     Log Query: Property doesn't exist or is used in a manner inconsistent with schema settings. More Information: Column does not exist.  06/06/2010 17:27:00.25 w3wp.exe (0x0DA4)                       0x1074 Search Server Common           MS Search Query               7hte High     Exception caught in QueryService.Query method.  Exception message: Property doesn't exist or is used in a manner inconsistent with schema settings..  Stack:    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.FullTextSqlQuery.Execute()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.QueryService.DoQuery(Boolean queryMethod, String queryXml, String& domain, String& queryId, Int32& startAt, Boolean& fStandardResults)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.QueryService.Query(String queryXml).  

So basically, I'm puzzled that is says that the column doesn't exist, yet I can see that it's managed and mapped using the Search Tool. For those not familiar with the tool, it basically calls the web service and retrieves the managed properties listing.
To make matters a bit more interesting, there is another search tool on codeplex called Search Coder that lets you use the same sql statement using the SharePoint object model and by using the web service. When using this tool with the web service, it returns the same error (expected). When using this tool against the object model, it works!
So I guess the big question is, whats different between the OM and the search web service and how to get around this problem (other than using the OM)?